PAST EVENTS & PERFORMANCES
Over the years, The Danceworx Student Repertory Company has done numerous performances. Listed below are some of the more memorable ones.
Festivals & Special Projects
Experimenta (2012 & 2013): A project of The Danceworx conceived and mentored by Shohini Dutta. It is a workshop for composition of choreography for students with a showcase at the end, where studio pieces of The Danceworx are also featured.
The Cascade Project (2012): A platform for collaboration of artists and companies from all over the world with Indian dance companies. The idea is to create an avenue of cultural exchange with a contemporary view point, not only for dance but also for allied fields like photography, music, stage design, company management, etc.
The Chrysalis Project (2011, 2012 & 2013): set up to showcase upcoming talented artists, dancers, and choreographers. The project serves as a cocoon for these budding artists to be supported towards their discovery of dance and a new language of choreography.
Bhoomika: Narendra Sharma Festival for Dance (2012): Founded after the demise of renowned choreographer Narendra Sharma, founder director of Bhoomika, the festival is an exciting array of nationally and internationally acclaimed choreographers, dancers and artists. The Danceworx opened the festival in 2012.
Quarterfest (2011 & 2012): The annual contemporary dance festival held at the Indian Habitat Centre, New Delhi, featuring companies from around India.
Delhi International Arts Festival (2011): This is the first multi-art, multi-venue annual cultural festival of Delhi, show-casingall forms of art.
Kala Ghoda Arts Festival (2006 & 2012): The country's largest multicultural festival, created to draw attention to this unique and beautiful area. The festival draws visitors in the thousands, not just from the city but from all over the country, and, indeed, the world to experience a kaleidoscope of music, dance, theatre, literature, street stalls, films, workshops for adults and children, visual arts and heritage walks.
Celebrate Bandra Festival (2010, 2011 & 2012): A cultural festival of Bandra, Mumbai that showcases the best the suburb has to offer in heritage, music, sport, theatre, literature & poetry, food, art and film.
The Times of India Wassup! Andheri Festival (2012): A 3-day festival showcasing art, music, dance, theatre, films, photography, literature, shopping and street food.
Fontys Dance Festival (2005, 2006, 2007 & 2008): The Dean of Fontys Dance Academy, Tilburg, The Netherlands, invited The Danceworx in 2004 for their Annual Dance Festival. It was one 18 academies invited from across the world - the only one from India to participate & perform 4 years in a row.
Mundial Festival (2005): A multi-city cultural festival held across Europe where performers are invited from Europe and other select countries. Senior members of The Danceworx Student Repertory Company were invited to perform jointly with the Repertory Company of The Fontys Dance Academie (in a piece choreographed by a European choreographer) at the closing ceremonies of the Mundial Festival 2005.
Workshops & Collaborations
Bad Boys of Dance (2012):The Bad Boys of Dance was founded by dance superstar Rasta Thomas in 2007. Today the company brings its magic to the masses, with its hit show 'Rock the Ballet'. The famous USA dance troupe visited India in March 2012. The Danceworx had an opportunity to do a workshop as well as share the stage during their performance at Siri Fort Auditorium, New Delhi in 2012. The Danceworx was invited to open the show.
National Dance Company of Wales (2012): NDC is an artist-led company with a wide-ranging international programme of contemporary dance. The Danceworx in collaboration with the British Council did a workshop with the NDC. The programme included Artistic Director Ann Sholem's talk, a master-class by Lee Johnston and Karol Cysewski and a master-class by Neus Gil Cortés and Ygal Tsur. This collaboration was a part of The Cascade Project 2012 of The Danceworx.
Paul Taylor Dance Company (2011): PTDC, established in 1954, has long been one of the world's most highly regarded performing arts companies. The Danceworx did a workshop with the PTDC II in 2011.
Other Events & Achievements
Homelands (2013):A flagship arts project of the British Council India, where The Danceworx performed for the opening night. The performance was conceived by Shohini Dutta, and choreographed by Ragini Bhajanka and Meghana Bharadwaj.
Kibbutz Contemporary Dance Company (2012): KCDC,one of the leading dance companies in the world, is identified with the works of its Artistic Director Rami Be'er. On the India visit of KCDC in 2012, The Danceworx collaborated with the Israel Embassy to facilitate their shows in New Delhi and Mumbai.
The Spirit of America (2011): To mark the passing of a decade since the tragic events of September 11, the American Center, New Delhi celebrated the September week. The Danceworx put up a joint effort in showcasing performances by Asha Imani Thomas, guest faculty teacher from the US, along with senior members of its student rep company.
Spanish National Day (2010): Since 1987, Spain has celebrated the anniversary of Columbus' arrival in the Americas as its Fiesta Nacional or "National Day". A small event was put up at the Spanish High Commission by guest faculty teacher Tino Sanchez and select members of the academy to mark this day.
Sole representation from India at the 'Choreographic Improvisation & Composition Workshop', France (2005, 2006 &2007): Two senior students, Shohini Dutta and Pankaj Guglani were selected 3 years in a row by the French government and Alliance Française to participate in a 6-week 'Choreographic Improvisation & Composition Workshop' held at Fondation Royaumont, France. Twelve dancers and/or choreographers are selected from across the globe by a committee on the basis of their dossier. This prestigious workshop is directed by Susan Buirge, American-born choreographer and the grand old dame of contemporary dance.
Young Ambassadors (2002): Twelve students of The Danceworx (all under 18 yrs.) were chosen by The Royal Netherlands Embassy to represent India in a joint dance theatre production to celebrate 400 years of Indo-Dutch relations. This production, titled A Passage to Amsterdam, toured three cities in The Netherlands and two cities in India.
Musicals & Dance Theatre productions
JHUMROO, Kingdom of Dreams (2012): a live musical, celebrating the spirit of Kishore Kumar; choreographed by Ashley Lobo and Pankaj Guglani, and featuring dancers from The Danceworx Academy. Jhumroo recently completed over 300 shows.
Danscapes (2012): an evening of moving art for Art Mart IV, New Delhi; conceived and directed by Shohini Dutta and Amith Kumar; choreographed by Shohini Dutta, Amith Kumar, Ragini Bhajanka, Tanvi Gupta, Meghana Bharadwaj and Sanchita Sharma.
Travelling Minds (2011): A journey of contemporary dance, performed for the Delhi International Arts Festival 2011; choreographed by Tino Sanchez, Jaan Freeman, Heidi Lynn Weiss, Shohini Dutta, Pankaj Guglani and Amith Kumar.
Ji Saab Ji (2010): directed by Lushin Dubey; choreographed by Ashley Lobo and Shohini Dutta
Salaam India (2008 & 2010): an internationally touring production, inspired by Pavan Varma’s bestseller ‘Being Indian’; directed by Lushin Dubey; choreographed by Ashley Lobo Out of Sight (2008): a collaborative dance production between senior members of The Danceworx Student Repertory Company and Mandeep Raikhy, programme director of Gati Dance Forum; directed by Mandeep Raikhy; choreographed by senior members of The Danceworx Student Repertory Company.
The Box (2006): a dance theatre production, conceived, written & directed by Ashley Lobo; choreographed by Ashley Lobo & senior members of The Danceworx Student Repertory Company.
About Nothing (2003 & 2007): a dance theatre production starring renowned theatre personality Barry John, conceived, written & directed by Ashley Lobo; choreographed by Ashley Lobo & senior members of The Danceworx Student Repertory Company.
That’s Dancing! (2001): a dance extravaganza, conceived & directed by Ashley Lobo; choreographed by Ashley Lobo & senior members of The Danceworx Student Repertory Company.
The Chorus Line (1999): an adaptation of the long-running Broadway musical, directed by Ashley Lobo & Vivek Mansukhani; choreographed by Ashley Lobo.
Other Major Events
- Tie-up with TV channel AXN to promote the dance program So You Think You Can Dance (Season 7) in India through cross-promotion and flash-mobs (2012)
- Godfrey Philips Bravery Awards (2006 & 2007)
- NDTV Gadget Guru Awards (2012)
- EEMA Awards (2012)
- Global Indian Music Awards (2011)
- 1000 Day Countdown to XIX Commonwealth Games, performed at India Gate, New Delhi (2008)
- Worldwide Launch of Microsoft Vista, performed at The Taj Mahal, Agra (2007)
- International Film Festival of India, opening ceremony in Goa (2006)
- Tribute to R.D. Burman, musical concert with Shankar, Ehsaan & Loy in Goa (2006)
- Music video of Love Sees No Colour: World Peace Day Anthem, endorsed by Nelson Mandela, involving 22 countries (conceived by Nassiri, an international singer, songwriter & philanthropist), shot at the Taj Mahal, Agra (2006)
- Commonwealth Games XVIII Queen's Baton Relay at the National Stadium, New Delhi (2005)
- Bhartiya Pravasi Milan, a cultural evening organized by the Government of India, directed by Muzzaffar Ali, performed at Indira Gandhi Stadium, New Delhi (2004)
- The Taj Mahal Hotel Centenary Celebration, a show organized by The Taj Group of Hotels to celebrate 100 years of The Taj Mahal Hotel, Mumbai, performed at The Taj Mahal Hotel, Mumbai (2003)
- The United for Gujarat Concert, a show organized in aid of the victims of the Gujarat earthquake featuring bands from India (Euphoria & Silk Route), Pakistan (Junoon) and Bangladesh (Miles), performed at Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium, New Delhi (2001)
- The Republic Day Parade, at New Delhi for the Ministry of Textiles (2000 & 2001)
- Jesu Krist Jayanti 2000, a show organized by the Government of Delhi, performed at Indira Gandhi Indoor Stadium, New Delhi (2000)
Films & Choreographies
- Cocktail, director Homi Adajania
- Rockstar, director Imtiaz Ali
- No One Killed Jessica, director Raj Kumar Gupta
- Pyaar Ka Punchnama, director Luv Ranjan
- Aazaan, director Prashant Chadha
- Guzaarish, director Sanjay Leela Bhansali
- Aisha, director Rajshree Ojha
- Teen Patti, director Leena Yadav
- Blue, director Anthony D’Souza
- Love Aaj Kal, director Imtiaz Ali
- U, Me Aur Hum, director Ajay Devgan
- Jab We Met, director Imtiaz Ali
- No Smoking, director Anurag Kashyap
- Namastey London, director Vipul Shah
- Ahista Ahista, director Shivam Nair
- Dhoom, director Sanjay Gadhvi
- Socha Na Tha, director Imtiaz Ali
- In Othello, director Roysten Abel
Music Video appearances & Choreographies
- Outrageous by Sherlyn Chopra, director Prahlad Kakkar
- Aare Aare by Sandesh Shandilya, director Imtiaz Ali
- I am So Lonely by Sangeet Haldipur, director Leena Yadav
- Mundeya by Aiysha (international artist), director Gary Rogers
- Bheega Badan by Aiysha (international artist), director Mohammed Burmawala
- Dhoom Dhoom by Tata Young (international artist), director Arjun Sablok (Yashraj Films)
- Maar Dala by Nirmal Pandey, director Pradeep Sarkar
- Reebok Life, show on NDTV Good Times, daily slot (over 300 episodes), anchored by Shaira Bhan, designed by Shaira Bhan & Amit Verlani, executed by senior students of The Danceworx
- Good Morning India Show on Star Plus, daily slot (over 250 episodes), anchored by Ashley Lobo, executed by senior students of The Danceworx
The Danceworx has done special performances for various corporate companies including:
- Air India
- Alliance Francaise
- Awaaz Consumer Awards
- CNN IBN
- Essar (Hutch)
- Fuji Films
- General Motors
- Godfrey Philips (I) Ltd.
- Heinz India
- Hyatt Hotels
- Hotel Nikko
- Indian Navy
- JJ Vallaya
- Lycra by Dupont
- LML Motors
- Master Card
- Over Drive
- Siemens India
- SAS Airlines
- Star TV
- Spice Mobile
- Taj Group of Hotels
- WLS India Fashion Week
- Yamaha India
- Zoom TV